View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
So what?

Hasn't this always been the case? Is it not true that Orchestral music rarely uses a drum set? Or is it just a specific dislike of synthesised sound? I don't understand what the issue is. When the drum set was first developed, the idea was to generate rhythm through a collection of organised sound. Now, technology is just doing exactly the same thing and the software has been developed for exactly the same reason. Just because a person isn't always playing it doesn't mean that skill hasn't gone into its creation.

Sure, there are cliches and there is the rabid overuse of tools and textures - like the hand clap. But I could say exactly the same thing about a lot of the 'Rock' back catalogue. Pentatonic guitar riffs, poodle-haired (no offence to Al, Bermuda!) singers screaming about their 'wohman!' or someone elses' 'wohman!', fat backbeats and heavy bass-drum sounds. The simple fact is that 'Rock' music is largely dying at the expense of the newer forms of music because it really hasn't moved on since about 1983 and yet I STILL hear bands like Wolfmother playing out the same tired cliches, thirty years after those cliches were in vogue.

And you know what? I don't even like the kind of music you're referring to. I just think your argument is hollow. It's like a security blanket that covers you because you don't want to move out from under the rock (pun intended) that you found some thirty years ago. If you don't like it, why don't you do something about it and try to create something that is truly beautiful and artistic rather than ranting on a forum.

No tool is inherently bad, no sound is inherently 'false' and nothing is inherently 'unartistic'.

DrumEatDrum - I use cassette tapes sometimes. So many memories!
In theory I understand what you are trying to say, but I'll have to respectfully disagree.. In high school my best friend was a top notch musician and trumpet player - this was before I even played drums. My world at the time was mostly heavy rock n roll. My friend opened my eyes to other genres of music, and looking back I'm forever grateful to him. We went to see the symphony in NYC, Buddy Rich twice, and I went to see him play many times in Drum Corp. He used to make me mixed tapes of jazz and classical music, which I still have today. I just went back and downloaded a lot of this old music to my iPod so I can listen on the road or at the gym.

I have an appreciation for a wide array of music, and play in two bands that specialize in significantly different types of music. So I don't need to be lectured that I'm close minded when it comes to today's pop. With a few exceptions, most of this type of music does not:

1) cause me to contemplate the relevance of my existence or spirituality
2) sooth my soul
3) get me pumped up at the gym or in the car
4) allow me to relax
5) rebel against authority, such as with a cause or purpose
6) help enhance a romantic moment
7) inspire me to try and reproduce the music when I play drums

Sorry, but I say that it is not my argument that is hollow, it is this music that is hollow. And I'm not going to feel guilty for not liking it. John Lennon said give peace a chance. It doesn't mean I'm going to like all peace movements or people.