View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
More of a rhetorical question....

If you have an 80's New Wave band, and the track has a drummer with decent time, playing to a click, playing a very straight beat, but playing on an 80's Simmon's kit (or other such electronic device) so it sounds very electronic, how many people would just assume it is a machine playing?

And if you took the same track, and programmed a computer to play the same exact part, and trigger the same exact sounds as the above example, and used the "random" feature to make the timing not-quite machine perfect, would anyone really be able to tell the difference between the two versions?
I can't believe my rant has resulted in 6 pages of discussion!

My biggest beef is not that they are using computers to generate the sound, it's that the sound they are generating doesn't resemble a drum set in any way, shape or form. As I said before, what you hear on many pop songs is a clicking or snapping sound to keep the beat, usually coupled with a loud booming bass-type sound. That is not music to my ears, so to speak. I like a bass drum, hi-hat, ride cymbals and different toms. I like to hear rolls, even in a pop song.

Remember Tone Loc song Wild Thing? I'm sure some type of drum synthesizers were used, but I love the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=387ZDGSKVSg