View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sound Engineering School Advice ???

Are there any sound engineers in your area he can talk to directly? Because oddly enough, working as an audio engineer and learning to be an audio engineer are two completely different things.

I work at the Disneyland Resort as a sound engineer and don't have formal training. My whole education stemmed from the fact that I was interested, and started buying my own gear to do things I wanted to do. Now that I'm where I am, Yamaha gives us classes on how to work their latest consoles, LCS comes out and trains us on their latest systems, all things audio-networking, etc.,...it's almost difficult to learn the cutting edge stuff in school because they're not buying that stuff for students to learn on.

Like being a musician, I think if you bought some gear, learned how to mix bands and deal with frequencies and miking', which you could totally learn on your own, that would help you more than going to school because doing audio is all about solving problems with the gear you have. I suppose having the degree helps, but perhaps you should see what audio engineer's union (IATSE) considers their purview in the entertainment industry. There are alot of other things we do that aren't audio-related that might not be so attractive to someone who wants to begin working in the industry.