View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

It is interesting to note that the new developments in digital technology underscore that first time in modern history where major changes to the way people produce and access music are being made not only outside of the realm of academia but also outside the realm of tradition. All of the major changes in audio technology happened in the realm of classical music and opera. Even the 78 featured operatic arias and then the album developed from the idea of having an album of 78s that could hold highlights from an opera or operetta, or even longer symphonic works. The lp came along to house symphonies and even the CD is 78 minutes long so as to house Beethoven's ninth.

But now with download technology classical music and any longer form works are out of the picture. It is specifically designed for the single and to feature the performing artist. When you download an opera or musical theater piece on to Itunes, you will end up with a myriad of listings based on the performing artist. Even a CD like Herbie Hancock's The Joni Letter will come up the same way.

This phenomenon has to have significant consequences for the way listeners develop a musical palette. One of those consequences is that music becomes a passive listening experience because there is no breadth of time allotted for anything interesting to happen. It becomes a sound bite, like a television news story or commercial. I don't want to get into any type of moral criticism of the three minute pop song. But there is a note to be said that music is capable of more than a good hook and a rhythm you can dance to. Certainly this has been discussed before, and I leave it to FZ to turn any conversation toward a discussion of ejaculation. But I do find it somewhat interesting and maybe should find it somewhat troubling that we have left a notion of great music on the bonfire of history. You may be able to blame John Cage for that. :)