View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Where are the fabulous grooves laid down by ryhthm sections anymore? Computers cannot groove - we all know that.
There are plenty of bands that play and groove (fairly) organically. The singers who lay down vocals over a produced track are in a different category. Not better or worse, just different. It seems like there's quite a bit of that music model happening lately, but that element has been there for some time. Lest we forget that Elvis started as a teen idol and didn't write his own songs, and the Beatles were groomed as a boy band and staretd out releasing their share of cover songs. Sinatra didn't write, or even have a band. Again, not good or bad or better or worse, just different, and successful. And I'll agree that they've stood the test of time, unlike most of what we're hearing on the radio now.

As for 'computers' not grooving, it's not true. I'll concede that some programmers can't groove, but there are also some deliciously deep grooves out there. You can't deny them simply because a live drummer didn't play them. You're missing a lot if you do.

I try to take it all in. I don't claim for a minute to like everything I hear, but I give everything a shot, without preconceptions or any personal agenda, such as "that recording is programmed and took a job away from me, so I hate all sequenced music!!" I can't dislike a track simply because it fits in a certain category.

Maybe because I'm involved with more types of music than most, I have a unique perspective. And don't say that I get paid to do those songs, so I have to like them. Not true, I don't claim to like everything I do. But I get what goes into the different styles, and that's what I'm trying to convey here. If more people would actually listen to more music, they'd find the value in it. And not everything has value, but again, that problem has existed for decades in the music world, it didn't start with sequenced parts and Auto-tune.

Bermuda