View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Electronic drums, keyboards, bass, and the programming of repetitive sequences have been around a very long time, but lately I have been noticing that pop standards sound entirely too simplistic to be programmed by bass players, keyboard player, or drummers. Even back in the 1980s, these parts were programmed by musicians. Now aparently, they are not. The music producers, like most business men, are out to maximize profits, and I am not going to criticize that - any successful business must keep cost containment in mind.I However, I think the producers have totally taken the ryhthm and melody sections over from musicians, obviously thinking if one can program patterns that sound good, why do you even need musicians anymore?

Music is an art, people, and it is being treated as an automobile production line. This is what I see as the main problem. It is really as if a bunch of New York art dealers found a way to have a computer paint paintings that they thought would sell great, and then got a renowned artist to sign the works as their own. When an art becomes a cookie cutter unit that is spit out from a production line, it loses it's appeal as having ever been an art. Can anyone see that they have literally prostituted music as an art? Where are the fabulous grooves laid down by ryhthm sections anymore? Computers cannot groove - we all know that. Listening to these pop songs with drums that sound like cartoonish sped up dripping faucets is more comical than it is pleasant to listen to. Even the melodies are so simplistic these days, they cannot be programed by real musicians. And to add more problems to an already out of control train, the producers have this strange concept that their market only wants to hear the same old worn out music genres, so anything new get's stifled. I think the only solution to this madness is to let the trainwreck happen. Then perhaps a real grassroots artistic effort will develop. This happened somewhat in the 1970s, when musicians drove the music market despite all the self appointed "music experts" running the record labels and the pop radio stations.