View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
On the other hand, there are plenty of such recordings where the thought process isn't there. Either because it's a simple part, or (as often happens), the parts were simply taken from a stock source.
The thought process doesn't always exist on completely live recordings, either. A real person is always ultimately responsible for a track's quality on any level.

Quote:
There are thousands of pre-recorded drum CDs out there for producers to purchase, not to mention thousands of pre-programmed beats and fills available via midi that come with the average drum machine or software package or can be found online.
If we're talking sounds, the same can be said for guitar players who happen to own the same guitars and stomp boxes as the next guy. What makes them different from each other? The notes they play. The bending. The arrangement. The timing and inflections. It's not just the sounds.

The same goes for modern music producers, who also strive to not use stock sounds, and have limitless tools to create impossible sounds. Sure we're hearing a resurgence in classic drum machine sounds, but the majority of drum sounds out there are unique to the recordings they appear on.

I'm dissecting a song right now, and I'm telling you, some of these sounds are just ridiculous. It's not even a question of how did they do that, it's how am I gonna do that?!

Like it or not, ya gotta give 'em their props.

Bermuda