View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
You can't just shut down to certain types of music because it is not your thing.
Unfortunately, too many people dismiss things simply because they don't happen to like them. Cars, women, TV show, drum brands... music. There's got to be a certain amount of "live and let live" or people just go nuts.

Quote:
On the other hand, I don't think that it is a good thing in any sense of the word that we have taken musicians out of the process of making popular music. In the days of the great studio bands, the studio musicians put a lot of affect into the interpretation and composition of the song. As a songwriter, that is one thing I have learned. In the hands of Booker T and the MG's, one of my tunes would have been a hit.
But songwriters and musicians playing instruments are two different animals. While musicians aren't always so prevelant in making modern music - let's not forget that at least one person has to be able to play keyboards - songwriters still exist, and are largely making a killing on modern tracks where the artist doesn't always write their lyrics or music. As a songwriter, you're supremely employable: not every song may need musicians, but every song needs at least one writer.

My real concern is that drummers resent and dislike a lot of music because there's not a live drummer on there, as if that 1) invalidates the music (a rather cynical position) or 2) takes a gig away from them (a rather self-serving and presumptuous position!)

I was thoroughly amused by drummers in the early '80s who were convinced their careers were over because the Linn Drum and other machines had become so fashionable. "Machines are replacing us! Quick, make up some 'Drum machines have no soul' bumper stickers!" Sheesh. Guess what - when machines became the vogue, I bought a machine! And to this day, I don't know of any drummers who were put out of work by it. And I've never felt like any less of a drummer just because I sequenced a part rather than physically playing it. It's all part of the music-making process. Maybe the album credit reads drum programming, but so what?

Bermuda