View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Made by robots, for robots? I'd like to see that!!

I'm not saying anyone has to like anything. But it's important to understand that there's humanity in any art, and the creators of this 'robot' music have as much passion for what they do as, let's say, Neil Peart and Mickey Hart have for what they do. For those drummers, playing drums is not just hitting them, and for most modern music producers and artists, making music is not just pushing buttons. There's a lot of creativity and thought that goes into making most pop/rap/dance tracks. Just because a producer didn't physically play a bass, or guitar, or drums, doesn't mean he clicked a mouse and popped a track.

Let's show particular respect to arguably the most mindless of those genres: dance. As drummers, do we actually listen to what goes into those tracks, or do we just think it's someone pressing a few keys on their midi controller and calling it a drum part? Well, I have to listen. Part of my primary gig is backwards-engineering such tracks in order to recreate the drum & percussion parts, and I can assure you that more often than not, those parts are well thought out, involve creative sounds and different tunings, and may have a dozen sneaky little things going on that contribute to the groove of the track. These are things that a live drummer wouldn't do, and couldn't do.

I'm not asking anyone to like those songs and genres, but as musicians, and especially as drummers, let's show some respect for the work that goes into the majority of these tracks. It's the same as not liking jazz, for example. You still have the respect the players for what they do.

Bermuda
I can buy what you're saying to a point.

Some programing does show a lot of artistic work went into it. The first NIN nails album comes to mind, as do other albums where their was a thought process.

On the other hand, there are plenty of such recordings where the thought process isn't there. Either because it's a simple part, or (as often happens), the parts were simply taken from a stock source.

There are thousands of pre-recorded drum CDs out there for producers to purchase, not to mention thousands of pre-programmed beats and fills available via midi that come with the average drum machine or software package or can be found online.

When I was doing the Industrial Rock band, I had a handful of disks of loops, each one containing hundreds of drum and percussion parts. And those parts from the few discs I own are clearly in other songs that I have heard on the radio. Now figure that was over 10 years ago, and there have been thousands of new discs of pre-fab stuff since then.

When my bass player sends me demos of songs he's written, the drums parts he's programmed can be pretty insane, but he's not actually programming anything, he's just cut and pasting from a pre-fab list of midi parts.

And if you layer two or three pre-fab parts, yes, you can create some really insane and groovy drum parts. But that doesn't mean there was a lot of hours of thought put into the process. Cut, paste, oh hey, that sounds good, OK, we'll use that.