View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
I think you're over stepping. A lot of the studio guys have become legends, and the wrecking crew played on most of the singles Herb Albert or Sonny and Cher, to the Association, Beach Boys Simon and Garfunkel, The Byrds, Mamas and the Papas, etc. They probably even played on The Archies, Sugar. The wrecking crew was a band for all intense and purposes. The Beach Boys were not. The Wrecking Crew consisted of 7-8 main players and another 10-15 standbys for extra horns over dubs or because there was too much work.

Everybody used session guys back then and even James Brown would still call in Purdie to do the shuffles. A lot of bands were session bands, like later Steely Dan or Hall and Oates. For their demo, Lynryd Skynyrd used the Swampers who were session band based in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Paul Simon continued to use studio guys, and even had a great band with Richard Tee, Eric Gale, Tony Levin and Gadd at one point, all session guys.
Where did I say session players were bad players?

Obviously the wrecking crew were all great players who are regarded as legends.

I never said anything negative about the quality of the players.

It's the presentation. If you watched the Monkees as a kid, there is no indication it was session guys behind the song. You're lead to believe the four "band members" did it all. That part was fake.

Same with the Partridge family and other assembled musical groups where the use of sessions guys was hidden, and the illusion was they weren't used. And had they had today's sequencing/midi options, they would have used that over paying the wrecking crew to come in.