View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Now there is a song that was meant to be pop, but is just a killer track.

Yeah, it has all the makings of pop dribble: Written by outside song writers, sung by a then fake band, using mystery studio musicians, recorded with the sheer purpose of cashing in on the Beatles craze.

Yet, the results were great.

Joe Jackson I still can't think of as generic pop. He was coming from a punk/new wave back ground, and was heavily influenced by jazz. I'd put him more in the college-indie scene than commercial pop.
I think you're over stepping. A lot of the studio guys have become legends, and the wrecking crew played on most of the singles Herb Albert or Sonny and Cher, to the Association, Beach Boys Simon and Garfunkel, The Byrds, Mamas and the Papas, etc. They probably even played on The Archies, Sugar. The wrecking crew was a band for all intense and purposes. The Beach Boys were not. The Wrecking Crew consisted of 7-8 main players and another 10-15 standbys for extra horns over dubs or because there was too much work.

Everybody used session guys back then and even James Brown would still call in Purdie to do the shuffles. A lot of bands were session bands, like later Steely Dan or Hall and Oates. For their demo, Lynryd Skynyrd used the Swampers who were session band based in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Paul Simon continued to use studio guys, and even had a great band with Richard Tee, Eric Gale, Tony Levin and Gadd at one point, all session guys.