View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
My teenage daughters and their friends also recognize a lot of the music from the 1970's and 1980's, because those songs are used over and over again in TV commercials and movie soundtracks. Whenever I hear them singing along, my natural tendency is to ask them how they know that song, and then they give me that look like "duh"....
That's one cool aspect of how music has remained relevant and stabilized somewhat over the last 40-50 years. Today's music is more closely linked to the music of the '60s & '70s than the music of the '60s & '70s was to the vaudeville, big band, jazz and crooners of the previous 20-30 years. Today if you listen back 20 or 30 years, music is still quite 'current'. I suspect that the musical and cultural similarities have narrowed the generation gap somewhat. There was a much greater gap between me and my parents (who grew up in the '30s & '40s), than seems to exist between today's teenagers and their parents who grew up in the rock era. That is, kids and parents today tend to have more in common musically and culturally than they did a generation or two ago.

So it fascinates me that so many parents view their kids' music as empty, not real, etc. I mean, I understand why my parents didn't get the Beatles, they didn't grow up with anything like them. But today's parents/adults in their forties or fifties have a musical experience more closely-related to the kids.

Bermuda