View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
2) All the vocals were heavily modified using echo, compression and whatever that program is that they use to modulate and alter the tone (Cher used it on Do You Believe in Love).
Antares Auto-Tune. A nice tool, but taken to its extreme. It's no different than the ab/over-used gated drum sounds of the '80s. The Kepex ( keyable program expander, IIRC) started as a great tool to clean up tracks and perform other behind-the-scenes functions. But engineers and producers exploited its capabilities to the max, and that fad eventually ran its course. The gate remains, but it has settled back into its original purpose. Perhaps the same will be said for Auto-Tune now that it's become so common, artists will regard it as a tool again, and not as an effect.

As for what passes for popular music now, I dunno. It's hard for me to judge a song just on whether the drums are real, or how much production or marketing has gone into it, or the age of the singer. Honestly, I don't really listen to lyrics, so if the track sounds good to me, I like it. Say what you will about the boy bands and pop tarts, but those tracks are pretty heavy and masterfully produced, not slapped together for a quick buck by any means. They work hard to get that quick buck! I listened to that Friday song, and keyed in on the drums and chords. Lyrically I guess it's pretty goofy, but there have certainly been far worse songs on a musical level.

I forget which big-band era icon this is attributed to, but the saying about there being "only two kinds of music" still holds true. I get a healthy dose of most genres, and am perhaps lucky that I can still judge a song on its merits, not based on who sings it, or who else likes it. I don't think it's an age thing, I'm creeping up on 55 and still take it all in as I did when I was 12. I just like what I like, and judge a song by how it sounds to me.

You guys would flip if you knew what kind of stuff was on my CD shelves. Let's look at the F section... Fad Gadget, Faith No More, Percy Faith, Fatboy Slim, Filter, Fine Young Cannibals, Ella Fitzgerald, Fleetwood Mac, Foghat, Foo Fighters, Four Tops, Samantha Fox, Peter Frampton, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Aretha Franklin, Stan Freberg, Free, Richie Furay... to name a few. And if you go to S you will find Britney Spears and The Spice Girls mixed in with Nancy Sinatra, Siouxsee and the Banshees, School of Fish, Springsteen, Sublime, Santana, Bobby Sherman, and The Shaggs.

Bermuda