View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My rant on today's pop music

For one, this is why I rarely listen to the radio outside of classic rock stations. There is a ton of good new music out there, but it's not going to be on the radio.

Second, yeah, it's teenagers perogrative to find music their parents will hate. As I said in another thread, if it doesn't annoy someone, it's not rock-n-roll.

Thirdly, Polly, I think you're not really making pop to pop comparisons.

Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Jo Jackson, those were NOT really pop artists. Yes, their music crossed over to pop, but they still attempted to have artistic and rebellious credibility.

When I think generic pop to compare the Rebecca Black song too, compare it to the Rebecca Black's of the past:

Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, New Kids on the Block, Menudo, The Partridge Family, Andy Gibb, Sonny and Cher. All that stuff was just as "manufactured" as today's pop music, involving fake instruments, or sessions guys hired to record stiff performances, with the idea to appeal to as many non-musicians as possible for the quick buck.

Since the muti-track was invented, there has always been dumb, mindless bubble gum pop music out there for the masses that really only appeals to teenagers.

The same rant posted in the OP could have easily been made 20 years ago, and even earlier.

Not that I disagree with the OP in anyway. I wouldn't listen to it either.