View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Great AM pop tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Many people thought Stealer's Wheel was Steely Dan and I would wonder if they were formed to ride the Dan's coattails.

Macarthur Park was written by Jimmy Webb who wrote hits for Glen Campbell including By the Time I Get to Pheonix and the classic Witchita Lineman
He wrote that too? Witchita Lineman is one of my guilty pleasures ... "is still on the liiiiiiiiiiiiine" gets me every time.

Quote:
I've never heard of those Aussie bands. Some of it is very post-Woodstock. Jeff St. John in a wheel chair, and is that a chick on drums or is it the drummer from Angel?
Nah, just a long-haired bloke :) I have tons of Oz rock in my collection. I used to go out and see bands all the time. It was awesome here for a while.

Quote:
I can't believe that you never heard some of those tunes, Hall and Oates, Michael McDonald, Chaka Khan, they had to chart in Oz. Here's another one everyone did, by Eugene McDaniels, Compared to What with Les Mccann & Eddie Harris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzvlivbptXk
I must have missed 'em. Hall and Oates and Chaka Khan had hits here later on. I don't remember Michael McDonald solo having a hit here. He might have done, but I don't remember it.

Larry, three words for you - Baby Elephant Walk :) Awesome! (oops, that's four words)

Grunter - no! lol. I never "got" 50s RnR.

Mary - yes ... but I was more into Copacobana :)

DED, "Sonny and Cher was a bit darker" lol - you're skating close to an oxymoron there. I guess I Got You, Babe could be spun as a cautionary tale about ownership within relationships ...

I am negatively inclined towards the O-Negative version.

Gerry Rafferty sings too well - that's the clue.

Judging by the amount of underwear allegedly thrown on stage I'd say a lot of (older) women would like Barry Manilow to bite them :)