Thread: Ringo Starr
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ringo Starr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMalriat View Post
Ringo created the standard for a new style of music. However, rock is the first style most drummers learn because it is usually pretty simple. With a few exceptions, most "classic rock" is in 4/4 with a bass drum on 1 and 3 and a snare drum on 2 and 4. I don't know if he should be regarded as one of the best drummers, especially top 15 of all time. Papa Jo Jones, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Joe Morello, Tony Williams, and many others all had major contributions to jazz, which I believe is a much more complex form of music and is geared more towards musicians. I don't think he should get as much credit as the jazz greats. Not only did they create the standard for what was a new form of music at the time, but they also did it with skill and technique. I don't think Ringo is on the same level, just like (as a musician) I don't think rock music is on the same level as jazz.
You're really not going to get into that jazz is better than rock thing,are you?Plenty of rock players have crossed over into jazz as well as jazz players into rock.Listed to some jazz/rock or progressive rock and that music is every bit as technically challenging as mainstream jazz,but its still rock.

And Ringo does deserve to be recognized for his contribution to modern music.I would suggest you relisten to his playing objectivly and you will hear the swing and groove and the big pocket in his playing.Ringo as much as or more than Gene Krupa put drummers on the map.You can't compare technical skill by itself with musical creativity and musical playing of Ringo's style.

Steve B