View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Great AM pop tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Another fun fact that nobody needs to know except someone who spends too much time researching this crap on the internet, is that Gerry Rafferty's first band was Stealer's Wheel, who of course had a hit with Gerry's, "Stuck in the Middle with You." I thought you may enjoy that one. We'll add to the pile, Fooled Around and Fell in Love, Sara Smile, She's Gone, I Keep Forgettin', Sweet Freedom, I'm Every Woman, Ain't Nobody, Waterfalls, Bittersweet Symphony, 100 Years, Cable Car. Lots of great pop out there. I almost forgot, Just the Two of Us, Smooth Jazz baby.
Yep, I was right into Stuck in the Middle with You too ... Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am ... :)

Talking of jokers, I loved Steve Miller's The Joker too. A real oldie, one that often appears on the worst songs of all time that I LOVED - Macarthur's Park ... someone left the cake out in the rain, and I don't think that I can take it, because it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again - OH NOOOOOOO (cue Darth Vader).

Monster arrangement, right up there with Classical Gas.

Ken, I haven't heard those other ones, apart from Two of Us and Bittersweet Symphony - great melody and vibe, that one. Must be the different play lists. Not sure how much old Oz pop you guys have heard.

This Jeff St John track had a classic hook that caught up us Antipodeans back in the day, Teach Me How to Fly. Funny ending to the mimed guitar solo too :)

Another one that worked for us, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWrZfDT5IQ

And we can't forget some good ole Aussie camp ... I remember being confused when I first saw this as a sheltered teen - lol. I couldn't match the campy look and the rugged voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUFeKIaVFP8

We had such a great scene here for a while but now it's shrivelled to a tenth of its size :(