View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Great AM pop tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post

But hey, if you really want to get into 70's cheese, anyone remember watching the Sonny & Cher show? Or Donnie and Marie? I doubt I could sit through an episode now. Back back then, there was no MTV, no outlet for music videos. If you wanted to see music and had to be in bed by 9, there wasn't much else you could do.

At least not until several years later when "The Kids are Alright" got shown on TV.
I'm with you on the variety shows, and not only Sonny and Cher, everyone had a variety show, Kenny Rogers, Glen Campbell, Bobby Darin, The Carpenters, Dean Martin, Carol Burnette. I think even Helen Reddy had one. I used to watch Hee Haw with Roy Clark.

The group I loved back in those days was Seals and Crofts. They did a short CA tour back in the '90s when I lived in CA. But of course, didn't find that out until I read it on the internet fifteen years too late.

One of the legacies of the 1970s was the popularizing of the story song. One of my favorites was Harry Chapin's Taxi. But there were so many great ones, Jerry Jeff Walker's Mr Bojangles covered by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Janis Ian Seventeen or her earlier Society's Child, Don McClean's American Pie. I used to sing that song in a band years ago.

In the 1970s, you could write a sad song or a story song, and it would chart. You don't hear that in pop music any more. Often the most beautiful songs are the sad ones because they ring true; every one has sad moments. People are all about positive thinking and not being so negative, not being melancholy. The greatest songs usually are melancholy because in the

as far as They're Coming to Take me Away, I had a really bad nightmare about that song when I was a wee boy, so bad I still remember it.