View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Advertisements Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I was thinking about this recently. Not so much being bothered by ads ... for me, ignoring them and closing them down are second nature.

I was thinking that, if I'm so immune to advertising's "charms" then I wonder how many others are also oblivious. If enough internet users are as oblivious as I am then this advertising model - that represents billions and billions of dollars - would be a massive bubble waiting to burst.

I suspect that, as a long term experienced web user who started before the advertising boom, I may be less responsive than most. I hope so, anyway. I love the way advertising heps to fund so much cool free stuff. If the bubble burst it would be ugly so, every now and then, I'll click an ad to keep 'em sweet :)
I think you may well be less responsive than most. I do pay attention to the ads on a page, particularly if they are restricted to just a few places on the page. I click on links and I have bought items that way, some of them locally. As people become more socially conscious, they cannot help but acknowledge the advertisers keep a site free and funded and as long as the ads aren't obnoxious, I think they will be more open to the presence of ads. Like Bermuda, though, I am most interested in ads relating to the page.

I pay most attention to Facebook ads and sometimes steer my clients to Facebook advertising as it's very affordable.