View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Played with a Throne Butt Kicker for the First Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
BUTTKICKER concept for drums is still a work in progress IMO.

Would love to see an integrated throne/seat top using the same concept of vibrational feedback.
Not so much in progress, as already in place for several years. In the 7 years I've been on board with them, there haven't been any changes - they got it right the first time. Whether everyone needs a ButtKicker is another matter, as everyone requires a little something different for their personal comfort level when playing, and the particular gig dictates how precise that level needs to be.

I know what you mean by "vibrational feedback", but the ButtKicker doesn't simply vibrate. there's a piston inside, house in liquid, and it kicks accordingly when the source (kick drum) sends a signal. It's like having someone hit you every time you step on the pedal, but it's a completely dynamic - and less painful - situation.

Might be cool to have something built into a seat with a simple input jack, that would make a personal kicker more accessible for more drummers. But there's still the amp and signal issues. It wouldn't work if there wasn't a mixer with a send for the kick, meaning it wouldn't be usable whenever the kick wasn't miked in the first place. Unless the drummer wants to bring his own 'rig' just for the sake of feeling the kick better.

Please understand that I'm not going on about this because I endorse the product. I just want to make sure people know what it is and why it's different before making judgements about whether it works or is necessary for them. It does work, and while it's not an absolutely necessary piece of gear, it sure makes monitoring drums a lot better!

Bermuda