Thread: Phil Rudd fined
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Phil Rudd fined

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
Yeah, missed the 25 grams there, so fair penalty, but there still needed to be one.

Pol, I'm sorry, I totally fail to see your point on no prohibition on pot (or other drugs). In an ideal world, there would be no drugs (other than use for medical purposes) would there not? There are plenty of other things for people to enjoy themselves with, that aren't a risk to there selves and the rest of society. One might say a positive aspect of drugs is releases stress, passes the time, enjoyable. While this may be true, there are hundreds of other things you can do to satisfy these needs.
Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world. Drug abuse exists all over the world and it kills millions of people. As stated above, drugs are not needed to live your life. The law prevents drug abuse the best they can. Sure it costs money. But think about if there was no law against drugs. Drug abuse and deaths would rise. There's no denying that.
As for the drug war, I agree, it's a lost cause. But the law is still needed.

We could go on weeks arguing, but we'd get nowhere. I'll leave it at this.
There is a hierarchy of illegal drugs and weed is near the bottom. As long as an adult is doing it in private and not putting anyone else at risk, I'm willing to look the other way. I'm surprised the government there would spend this much time and money to bust someone for such a minor offense. I'd assume they have more pressing crimes.

Be that as it may, the law is the law and I think the penalty in this case is about right.