View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Music's deadliest genre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
People are complex and contradictory. They can be among the greatest ever in some things, miserable failures in others.
That's at least one point of common ground. Personally, I don't see it as wasted life because some of these prematurely deceased stars achieved more in their short span than many do in 90 years. They gave of themselves while many have lived long parasitic lives. The shape of their lives wasn't perfect - they didn't win the Golden Gong for long-lived high level productivity, but most people miss out on that one way or another.

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
Many people with significant artistic talent tend to be a little unstable. Thousands of musicians, actors, painters, etc. have led tumultuous lives, often ending way too early. I was just watching film of Hendrix when he played at Woodstock, and then read up on his life, which was fraught with violence and rage, especially when drunk. Then again, who knows how much of this was caused by his less-than-desirable upbringing.
I agree. As I mentioned earlier, it seems that the very qualities that give some artists their incredible mojo are the ones that destroy them. So it's interesting how other great artists can be so mellow and together.

My guess is each type has a strong Child (as in Parent/Adult/Child in transactional analysis)? A person can have a healthy, playful Child while another's Child can be demanding and difficult. It depends on how much the Child is tempered by a person's Adult.

On a more mundane level, I think it's pretty well known how once a person becomes a "star" they often find themselves surrounded by sycophants and yes-men, which robs them of the usual social checks and balances. This seems to especially be the case with those who found fame and fortune young, before they developed the knowledge and assertiveness to recognise and reject parasites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I'm a relatively upbeat, happy person. I'm productive, like my life and the direction it is going. It hasn't always been that way.

I use a lot the genre qualities of doom (ideology and sonic), along with black metal for that matter, to work on something along the veins of both with post-rock elements.

I find it cathartic personally, it's a way of dredging up everything haunting my memories so it doesn't eat me up inside.
It can go either way, can't it? For some fans, ostensibly negative music fuels their own negative emotions. For others, it reflects and spends those emotions, as though it's comforting to hear from someone who seems to get it.

I've met a few metalheads through work and it surprised me to find what lovely, mellow guys they were. One was a good work friend and he looked pretty scary, but he was just a big pussycat. I was a Black Sabbath fan when I was young and I remember the intensity hitting the spot like a rough massage on sore muscles. None of this really meshed with the violence I sometimes saw at heavy gigs back then. It can go either way.