View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Music's deadliest genre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Well, I think DMC was referring to the song writers, but a few of these don't seem that far out from his point:

Richards, OK, but doesn't Mick write the lyrics? Still, Paint it Black, Sympathy for the Devil,

Duane Allman - Whipping Post? TIED to the whipping post! Good Lord, I feel like I'm dyin'... Granted Greg wrote the song. But seems to fit.

Bonham - Gallows Pole, Immigrant Song ( violence, destruction), When the Leave Breaks (Moroseness, alienation).

Bon Scott: Dirty Deeds, Jail Break, Highway to Hell,
LOL. I'm up to your tricks, young Ian :)

Keef: Happy (and he wrote it), Brown Sugar, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Beast of Burden, Start Me Up ... (I won't mention Sister Morphine - ahem :) ... just reflecting the many sided nature of human existence.

The Allmans weren't known to be dark, unless we're going to say that all blues artists are dark ... but isn't that what blues is about - an acknowledgment that life isn't all Wake Me Up Before You Go Go? Jessica was a pretty happy little tune. As for Whipping Post:

I've been run down
I've been lied to
And I don't know why I let that mean woman make me a fool
She took all my money, wrecked my new car
Now she's with one of my good time buddies, they're drinkin' in some cross town bar

You can't blame Gruntin' Gregg and his bro' for having the blues there, can you? I mean, hey, I'd be mightily peeved if my ex wrecked my new car too.

Bonzo - Too many upbeat Zep songs to mention. He migtn't have written them but he was hardly casting a shadow of his dark, alcohol-tormented soul over them, was he? Nope, he just rocked out like a beast. He liked his booze and got addicted. Hardly Robinson Crusoe there.

Bon - forever grinning and leering with wicked joy. He was just a madrat. I knew a bunch of guys of that ilk in my mad, bad younger days. If anything, their self abuse was a show of macho bravado ... that "Hey, I'm man enough to handle it! Are you?" game. Young men taking risks with life and limb to show off to their mates is hardly rare. Idiotic, yes. Hubris? Sure. Dark? Nope.