Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
NAME:
The Drummer's Bible by Mick Berry and Jason Gianni
STAR RATING:
# # # # #
WORDED RATING:
A great idea, to get all these different styles of music in one book. Gives the drummer a taste of each one. Also learned about a lot of styles I'd never heard of.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Anyone Beginner-Advanced who is interested in learning about the history and roots of the hundreds (165+ in this book) of different musical styles, and also the basic beats and applications of these styles.
DESCRIPTION:
A fantastic book. Goes into 165+ different musical styles. They way the book is written is there are about 20 or sub categories (latin, funk, rock, etc.) and several categories within these. Some are very short, with a brief description of origination and just 2 beats, and some are much longer, with a lot of info about origination and developing artists, and 10 beats. It doesn't go into any advanced concepts, just gives a basic sample of many different styles, however it's still great for advanced drummers. There will be some styles you've never heard of, and you'll also get a lot of valuable info. It's not necessarily best for learning technique or teaching students or whatever, but it's a great kind of laid back book that's a blast to play. I mean, who here knows how to play an Abakwa, Boogaloo, or Mozambique drum beat?

I use this book as a reference all the time. Great book. Nice to hear the samples on the CD as well.