View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Kicking out our bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004 View Post
The bass player and myself in our band have been together for over 14 years so we "click" when it comes to playing. I know his licks and he knows mine and couldn't ask for a better combo.

I could tell you stories about lead guitar players, keyboard players as well as lead singers who's egos were as big as all outdoors. Guys who though they were going to make it "big" one day.

But where are they now? Driving trucks, taking care of kids or getting high and/or drunk.

Sad really as making music is supposed to be fun, not a job!
That's why I think age makes a big difference. In my band, we are all between 45-55 years old, and we have no superegos because we think we are going to make it big. We all have our day jobs and careers, and the band is a way to have fun and earn some supplemental cash. All but one of us are in more than one band too. That does not mean we take it lightly - we practice long and hard. And we are all on the same page as far as direction for the band. But we realize the limitiation of what we are doing, and that we aren't going to be on the cover of Rolling Stone or going on tour across the world playing to sold out arenas. However, we can rock a couple hundred people at a time!