View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Kicking out our bassist

This is how I got to be drummer in my current band a couple years ago. Their drummer was a head case, and was always getting injured. The band had difficulty booking gigs because they didn't know if he was going to show up. In the month leading up to one of their gigs, he injured his shoulder falling out of a tree on a hunting trip. Two of the guys in that band played with me at church, so asked if I wanted to fill in for the one gig, and I said yes. I had less than a week to get ready for the gig, and to top it all off, their drummer showed up at the gig and sat at a table right in front of the band. I so impressed the guitarist that he told the drummer he was out and I was in. It was really awkward because he was the brother-in-law of the bass player, but the bass player didn't like him either.

Not to toot my own horn, but I helped to revitalize the band with my playing and ability to sing (old drummer did no singing). We were able to expand the band's repetoir significantly and make the music more palatable to the viewing audience.