View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How are analog formats doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I'm with you on the sound equipment. There's a nostalgia for records and turntables and that stuff with me, but it's not enough to offset the disadvantages.

But I'm a photographer, too, and I can say I have no interest whatsoever in digital photography at this point. I spend all day on computers and working with Photoshop and the other tools is a lot of fun, but that has nothing to do with why I got into photography. I loved the challenge of getting the exposure right as much as I did capturing the subject.

For me, the best part was the experience and anticipation of going into the darkroom, working with the chemicals and practicing the art of things like dodging and burning. The whole thing was an isolationist experience for me - going into that room alone or with my dad - and the tactile aspects of it all; using the tongs to take the paper out of the stop bath and put it into the fixer; the safety lights; the sound of water running through the rinse tray... that was what it was all about for me.

So although taking photos might be easier and better now, that was never the point for me.
I get that and I tried to stick with film for as long as I could, but once you get into the business of going out for a day and banging through a bunch of high school student portraits and big group shots, your workflow just bogs down. Jobs like that are much quicker and easier done with digital, as are weddings and other events. If it was just me doing the Ansel Adams thing out on safari, then yeah, give me my 4x5 LF or an old Hasselblad camera and a mule to carry all the stuff and I'm there. But I never get to live that kind of charmed life!

I do know several photogs who only shoot film for everything and they argue the cost is about the same, and that's cool. They are definitely in the minority. Many places around here in Los Angeles are doing less and less film developing, so it's getting more expensive to shoot color 35mm film just for fun.