Thread: HIP HOP
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: HIP HOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
This sidebar discussion about metal is interesting to me too. I've always found it amazing how their hardcore aficianados pigeonhole the genres with the same ferocity of the jazz aficiandos. You would have thought they would have learned from the jazz crowd that flailing away at what everybody thinks is and isn't only alienates your scene and dooms your stuff to underground status. Despite the extroidinary differences in the music itself, the only difference between the mindsets of jazz and metal lover /not always the musicians/ is that the metal guys think the jazz guys are after them too whereas the jazz crowd doesn't care what the metal guys think of them. IMO this is a recipe for failure. I've never been any particular fan of the metal stuff of any genre or classification, but I certainly respect those drummers. There's obviously some serious talent there, so it's ashame to see the metal self destruct button always on.
Agreed.

It never makes sense that people will debate endlessly on online if a band is metalcore or melodic death metal or whatever term they feel like using, when any good band probably embraces 3 or 4 different sub-genres over the course of an album. Few bands really just do ONE thing and one thing only.

Do they have these same silly debates overseas too? I was wondering if it's just an American thing, to want to pigeon hole a band into neat littler perfect boxes. In Europe, they have all these big metal festivals like Wacken, Summber Breeze, Download Festival, Dynamo, and list goes on and on, and every festival hosts a wide range of metal acts from every sub-genre. It always seems like European crowds are more open to enjoying a wider range of music without worrying about that being caught listening to a Symphonic-Goth-Metal band will hurt their thrash metal credentials with their buddies. But that just may be me over glorifying the scene over there out of frustration with the musical climate here.