Thread: HIP HOP
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: HIP HOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Just curious about an aspect of scratching. I used to have hundreds of vinyl records so when I first saw people scratching I was horrified, thinking about the pops and crackles it must cause. How long do the records last? The worst thing I ever did to a record was one time I was playing and hit a cymbal clumsily, and it was kind of like Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith - [slow motion] noooooooooo! - as I watched the cymbal stand topple over on to a record (Night at the Opera) that I'd not put away ... put a big crack in it :(
Most of the LPs I buy for hip hop mixes are made special meaning they're 99% scratch proof and they're made especially for Djs. You pay a little more for them. But yeah I caused quite an uproar when my first mix got a lot of hits and all those jazz guys saw me butchering that Love Supreme album which WAS NOT scratch proof. It was also my Dad's record, and he knew nothing of it until he saw the youtube track a month or so later. Needless to say I had to go to Detroit to one of those LP collectibles places and spend really good money to replace the LP with another BRAND NEW LP. He wasn't accepting a CD. He wanted his LP. After that I left Dad's records alone lol.