Thread: Best of 2010.
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Best of 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabo View Post
I guess it all depends on what type of bm you listen to. Watain for me seems to be far from any trend, their new album has gone a lot further away from their old influences and developed their own sound (not to say their old stuff was unoriginal). I don't mean to be rude, but speaking of unoriginal song writings I would say Cor Scorpii is a prime example. I don't mind their stuff, but it sounds like a mock of Windir, considering half their members are from the band, they just seem to be one of those "we can't accept the fact that Windir is done" bands.

There are plenty of great BM bands with original music, it's just not easy to pick them out amongst all the shitty bands that are out there. One example would be Nyktalgia, all their instruments are played really well and their thmusic is very original.
That is fair enough, you are certainly not alone in liking Watain, Terrorizer publicised the hell out of their latest release. Personally, I don't really like black metal that tries to be crust punk, or black metal that is heavy and raw, purely for the sake of being heavy and raw.

I have no real problem with heaviness in general but there is a difference between being heavy and being heavy to be "brutal" for death metallists or "grim" for black. If there is a point to the heaviness, if it reflects upon something, that is a different story. I find Watain are all style, with little substance.

I didn't find your comments on Cor Scorpii rude, each to their own, I find Cor Scorpii are attempting to do something with a more progressive strain of black metal. I'd agree with the Windir comment, but I don't see where the issue with Cor Scorpii sounding like Windir is when as you said, half the members are from Windir. I wouldn't expect them to abandon their artistic dreams because the band failed.

I agree with the comment on the shitty bands and happen to be a huge fan of Nyktalgia myself, they are fantastic, glad to hear of someone else listening to them. Their last album wasn't quite up to the level of their debut though, still incredibly solid however.

Last edited by Frost; 02-02-2011 at 03:57 AM.