View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Chris "Daddy" Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Yup, I think Chris Coleman, Aaron Spears, all the Gospel chop champs are astounding players who leave me ice cold, whereas I'm riveted by the way Chris Dave are Mark G are expressive themselves to the music.

Incidentally, I was listening to Worried Life Blues, a Robben Ford tune played by one of my favorite guitar players, Michael Landau and Vinnie. Its a straight up 12 bar blues, but if you listen to Vinnie on that track, he is going places no other drummer would dare to go on a tune like that. All the groove/chop debaters would say 'hey! you cant play THAT over THAT!" But he does. And makes it work, without overpowering the song for even one bar!

That tune to me is a great lesson in what do do with your insane chops if you do happen to have em.

Great lesson.

Yeah--I've listened to Vinnie playing on some of Andy Summers's (The Police) solo fusion stuff (e.g., Earth + Sky) and it's great: complex, but still tastefully groovy--the kind of playing the compliments the music and still makes you, as a drummer, want to pick up the sticks and hit your own kit.

I liked your "ice cold" phrase: that's how I feel when I watch "chops drummers": I'm impressed, but so tired of the power fills on the kit.