View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Other than drums ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrae1l View Post
i'm curious here since it's being brought up. how exactly do you define a piano as a percussion instrument? if it's only the fact the the hammer is striking the strings, that would also make a fair amount of lap guitars a percussion instrument. and hammer notes on a standard guitar would also turn that into a percussion instrument as well. now consider not all pianos use a hammer , some use a quill that plucks the string, granted their all very old models but they are still pianos none the less, and the piano itself is classified as a type of harpsichord. then you come to the electric piano, no hammer, no strings, is it still a percussion instrument or string instrument?

so really where does a piano fall? kinda seems to fall in between classifications to me....
Those 'old pianos' aren't pianos at all. They're Harpsichords. You seem to be getting them mixed up. The Harpsichord has the quill pluck.

My older brother is a virtuoso pianist and used to get invited to play recitals at a piano museum near me (it's called Finchcocks and it's near Hastings on the South Coast of England) they have a massive collection of all kinds of keyboard instruments ranging from a 17th Century barrel organ and chamber organ (in original D/F sharp tuning) a range of pianofortes and fortepianos (they are different instruments too). The best part? They let you sit down and play them. Even better? They're all in their historical tunings.

The great advancement of the modern piano (and the fortepiano as well) was that it allowed real dynamics on a keyboard instrument. Harpsichords lack direct dynamic control on the keyboard as do organs, the piano allows this to occur. Hence the name 'pianoforte' meaning 'soft loud' in Italian.

The Harpsichord is NOT a piano. I've played a few, I know the difference!