View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: George Kollias here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorSxL View Post
Hey George!

Honored to see you here!

Attended your show at "Roskilde Festival" and enjoyed it immensely!:)

I have a question concerning pedal work and thought you'd be the right to ask.

I am currently not using double bass due to the fact that its inconvient for me atm. So i've made the best of it and since my favorite band is Led Zeppelin i've been practicing my double kicks and foot a lot in general in order to jam along with Bonzo. But after a talk about a more experienced friend about pedal technique he explained that most of the better drummers in the field use heel-down only due to it being more healthy and efficient at a higher level. So i came home and watched some of your vidoes yet agian and saw that you played heel-down all the time.

I've only been playing for little less than a year but im very active and i drum as much as i can everyday which means around an hour if im lucky and i would like to be able to use my foot effectively while drumming for quite sometime. So my question is: Is Heel-down superior?

Sorry for the lack of puncutation and commas.

Regards Victor
I don't play heel down, i am still a heel up player but my heels are staying close to the board and it might "look" like heel down.

Both ways, Hell down and Heel up have different benefits.

Heel down:
Great balance
Speed (cause your ankle is not "locked")

Heel up:
Power
Control

and so on....

The thing is, as most Death Metal drummers, i play heel up but staying very low on the board, so will be something in between those 2 techniques. If you play either way, and you try to go beyond your maximum speed you will see your body will ask you to use the same technique that i use.
So basically what i am doing is not a "special" technique but the most natural way to play fast stuff. This is a result of playing fast music for years and pushing beyond the limits, it came very naturally and of course it took time....but now i know what's up and this is what i am teaching out there, saying exactly what's going on.
Will that get people to my speed sooner than it took to me? Of course...but people don;t really think a very important factor which is the main thing in fast music.
FEEL what you play.....
Extreme metal requires a lot of soul....you just have to go for it....

Look at Buddy Rich, people saying this guy was all DNA and it was very natural for him to play super fast. Yes and No...Means, of course a part of it will be dna, i mean it was his muscle structure and all but.....on the other hand, he was pushing it day after day and night after night....