Thread: Wynton Marsalis
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wynton Marsalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post

8Mile, A Love Supreme gets pretty cosmic at times so if Wynton loves it then he can't be too starched up IMO.
You need to hear the arrangement Polly. It was arranged for big band with Coltrane's melodic lines and most of his subsequent improvisations voiced for large ensemble, often with block voicings suitable for the US high school football field on a Friday night. Not to say this has never been done/ many Charlie Parker improvisations have been scored in this manner/ but this was perhaps one of the most soul drained adaptations of a modern jazz work ever, to say nothing of one of the most inappropriate works for big band ever. When the improvisations finally arrive they are played in entirely inappropriate style suggesting improv of an earlier time. In other words it's a mess.

Then if you really want the bizarre, check out his brother's entirely copped Love Supreme album where Branford attempts to recreate the entire disc often note for note. The first time I heard it I got the wierdest feeling hearing what sounded like a really good player attempting to imitate Coltrane but with a small figure or twist added or deleted. I actually knew someone who loved it because in his mind it was great to hear all of the old Coltrane ideas with proper digital quality.