Thread: Wynton Marsalis
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wynton Marsalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Sorry to butt into an interesting conversation with my relatively prosaic inanities, but would I be right in guessing that Wynton M draws the line at hard bop? I take it Bitches Brew would be too modern for him? :) I take it A Love Supreme would have had some worrying developments for him ...

8 Mile mentioned that "Louis Armstrong trashed bebop at the time and Miles said he thought Cecil Taylor played like someone with psychological problems" ... and was it Miles who accused Monk of playing the wrong notes?
Sweetheart, we need to get you up to speed a little bit because the original piece is Part IV of A Love Supreme. In Wynton's defense, I have those electric albums BB, On the Corner, Live Evil. I don't and have never listen to them as much as Round about Midnight, Milestones, ESP or Nefertiti. You can't deny their importance though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
But I also believe that those of us living in our time are often ill equipped to pass judgment on the present. It always looks insipid by comparision to the past upon which we had had time for reflection, analysis and nostalgic glorification.

I think we havent even begun to scrape the surface or fully comprehend the power and capability of the babes of the 21st century, the internet, mobile telephony, artifical intelligence, stem cell technology and cracking the genome code. The 21st century will be a time for intense innovation for sure, and the musical arts will be a mirror to all of it.

We might not like it, you and me, but hey, we aint going to around to smell that cuppa coffee! ; )

I think I was making a semantic argument, and that is the the innovation that will come are a part of further developments in the breakthroughs in the sciences and in music that have already happened. In other words, the initial thrust of creative energy has already been set into motion. We've identified the gnome and developed internet and telecommunication technologies. Or maybe that is just my way of defending myself against being an old coot. :)

If you didn't listen to the speech from the clip this is what Orson Welles says:

You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.