Thread: Wynton Marsalis
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wynton Marsalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post

I don't think there's anything wrong with being passionate. Frost and I are cool and have already said as much. I'm not mad at anyone here. I love talking about this stuff and I'm having a great time.

I can't speak for what rock historians care about because I don't know any. I do feel that past a hall of fame induction ceremony that you're right in your assertion that the rock guys don't care so much about archival stuff. And ironically that's also the reason /fair or no/ that their music is considered second tier in the same academic circles that will ultimately decide what makes the history books and what doesn't. Again is that fair? I'm not a historian so I'm not qualified. But I do know that's the assertion. Personally if I were the greatest lover of rock music I would find it disconcerting to think that future cultures may not even know of an entire genre of music. That won't happen with jazz or classical music, nor do jazz historians care if the current general population is getting tired of their work. They merely keep working oblivious of all things except what gets in their way. As previously mentioned I've been around people like this all my life. I am also saying that I am not as hardcore as they are. So don't shoot me I'm just the messenger.

But I do have to say that of course people can be hoodwinked by Marsalis. On this very post I just mentioned an incident of once providing very concrete evidence only to be flamed like a blow torch, while the same guy comes back to ask the same question three years later as if the previous incident never occured. I honestly don't know the reasons for such things, but they obviously happen.

Does all this matter? Well that crowd making it happen certainly thinks so. Will it make a difference in 1000 years from now? I have no idea. But I know that a lot of people believe this.
I'm cool. I dig your passion about it. It sorta' reminds me of a single pane cartoon I saw years ago: in the future, an archeologist finds books by Madonna, Danielle Steele, and Michael Crichton and declares, "Behold! The Masters!"