View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Knowing your band's lyrics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I guess I've never viewed the lyrics as integral to writing a drum part, and I don't really know how my drum parts in a song would change based on its lyrical content... I obviously try to find the best grooves, fills and flourishes that will compliment the melodies and riffs, but I must admit I never factor the lyrics into this.

It might be a genre thing though, or even a band thing. In my band, the music is written first (which is, as far as I know, the most common way to write rock songs). This usually means that the vocal melodies and lyrics will already be written to fit the riffs, chords and general feel of the music. Over time, the song will be rehearsed and evolve into its final form, which usually results in everything really fitting into place with everything else. Lyrics, vocal melodies, phrasing, fills, grooves, riffs, etc.

Maybe you're right though; maybe I should pay more attention to the lyrics. I do know most of the lyrics to most of our songs, but I'll admit that I generally only learn them because I've heard them so often, and this means that I'll generally have a drum part down before I ever learn the lyrics.
Well, in the metal scene, they have whole sub-genres that are defined pretty much just by the lyrics.

Viking metal, Pirate Metal, Fantasy Metal, is all pretty darn similar except for the lyrics.

Early extreme metal bands often set themselves apart from other metals bands by lyrical content (i.e. Canibal Corpse, and similar).

In a band like U2, the lyrics are everything.

John Lennon, sure he wrote an ton of amazing music, but it was his lyrics that made him so revered.