View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Knowing your band's lyrics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
By listening to the music and the vocal phrasing. There's enough of the songs "emotion" portrayed there for me to be able to accurately determine what fits and what doesn't, without knowing what the 3rd line of the 2nd verse is.

I get your point, but personally I just don't find it necessary. I've gotta be honest and say that I don't know all the lyrics to some of my favourite songs....not the ones that I've had any hand in creating, but the ones I've been listening to all my life....yet the emotion contained within those songs is certainly not lost on me.
+1 nicely put. Those who have seen my band's vids know I try to respond to our vocalist's vibe, but I don't know lots of words ... when our singer can't make practice I try to fill in with place-marker vocals and there's a fair bit of dum-te-dum and shooby-dooby-doo going on ... I once scatted through almost all of My Baby Just Cares for Me. It was dire lol

Larry, I know what you mean about Thrill Is Gone. I always put the brakes on in Thrill because the others try to turn up the burners - and I've told them to lay back heaps of times. It's just that it's easy to see music in abstract terms and miss some of the emotional and literal content. If players are missing the point it's not hard for a vocalist to tell a drummy drummer, "Lay back on this one - it's supposed to be a melancholy song".