View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Knowing your band's lyrics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
How can you write the perfect drum part for the song if you don't know the song?

I'm with Larry, I'm a little disappointed in the general attitude about the lyrics shown. I always assumed my fellow drummers were more interested in what they were doing, and not filling in the stereotype that we just play beats and fills and go home.
By listening to the music and the vocal phrasing. There's enough of the songs "emotion" portrayed there for me to be able to accurately determine what fits and what doesn't, without knowing what the 3rd line of the 2nd verse is.

I get your point, but personally I just don't find it necessary. I've gotta be honest and say that I don't know all the lyrics to some of my favourite songs....not the ones that I've had any hand in creating, but the ones I've been listening to all my life....yet the emotion contained within those songs is certainly not lost on me.

On the flip side, if you need lyrics in order to come up with a meaningful drum part, how can you do it in the instrumental sections of a song where no lyrics are evident? :-)