View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Sleeping with a Click

Supposedly benefitial...

This just sounds awfully similar to the “subliminal learning” programs, where if you go to sleep listening to say, a foreign language, or general knowledge questions, your subconscious will still be able to assimilate the information and you can be learning while your brain sleeps. But subjects that have been tested on this showed no noticable improvement.

What interview did that OP come from? I'm betting it wasn't something that has any scientific data to back it up. This sounds like the correlation/causation fallacy, usually defended by “well, it worked for me!” when you try and point out the specious reasoning behing it.

Like in the Simpsons episode about the bear patrol (Much Apu About Nothing).

Lisa: “By your logic, I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.”
Homer (confused): “Hmm; how does it work?”
Lisa: “It doesn’t work; it’s just a stupid rock!”
Homer: “Uh-huh.”
Lisa: “… but I don’t see any tigers around, do you?”
(pause) Homer: “Lisa, I want to buy your rock…”

Even if you did go to sleep with a metronome but were practising during the day as well, there is no evidence to suggest that listening to it at night has any improvement. Unfortunately, many people in interviews are false authorities. Just look at celebs who give opinions on political matters they obviously haven't read-up on, but people give their views more credence because of who they are.