View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
PRO Drum Tech

Default Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHAHA
Hello Mr. Morrison,
I'm a BIG fan of the "platinum" cymbals (see my kit thu link in my signature). I just love their sound! Do you have any secrets for cleaning them and keeping them sounding their best?
When you're playing large venues like stadiums, how much do you "shape" the sound of each drum? At that point, does it even matter if what type of drum you're playing with all the work you do to shape the sounds?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my post.
The easiest way that I've found to clean "platinum" cymbals is to not use ANY cleaner, just buff with a terry cloth towel after every use. As long as you get the smudges off right away, you shouldn't need any sort of cleaner. But if the dirt is dried on, use a mild cymbal cleaner, such as a spray then buff as normal.
I haven't done too many stadiums with Motley, but in the larger arenas that we've done I tend to be a little more forgiving with the tuning of the drums until I hear them under the mics. If necessary, we'll add more sample to the overall sound of the drum. It really depends on the situation. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what brand of drums you play; as long as they are tuned properly. Thanks for the questions!
STB Site