View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: A petition, and the sorry state of Australian music

I know, if it was an athelete, you are completely right, even outside of the metal spectrum, a concert pianist would succeed.

It isn't an application for citizenship, just the option to stay in the country long term.

The imigration board treat Ne Obliviscaris like a garage band making a joke out of the $5000 fee it costs to apply for this visa. Ne Obliviscaris have global fans.

The violinist has a bachelor of music with honors (performance), from the most prestigious university in Melbourne.

The drummer holds the Australian WFD feet title.

Benjamin already has a large amount of people taking lessons from him, he is a phenomenal guitarist,

Just to supply something to back that up, outside of the usual metal speed picking/shredding,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdkQffi5Kt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Frosty, you would know I'm not into metal and I suspect the decision-makers aren't either. What if it was a classical, jazz or (somewhat respectable musician? No probs, I'd guess. Certainly if it was a sportsman with a level of international experience they'd roll out the red carpet.

I agree with you that they are being narrow-minded. IMO it's sheer prejudice and it's unethical ... that's why I signed. Hope it makes a difference, from what I'm seeing, trying to make a mark on a government or major company is like being a mosquito trying to get an elephant's attention. They will listen to the media, but the most influential - the Murdoch press - would probably like metal / alt / underground musicians about as much as the Dept of Immigration does. I hate the way conservativism is so dominant in the halls of power at the moment.