View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A very cool thing happened last night

haha I'm shocked! Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. I was half-expecting "hmm microtiming .... hmm tempos .... hmm that grip/stroke" ... which would have been fair enough.

@ Skulmoski, I might have messed up my karma ... just before reading your post I killed a cockroach :)

@ Bob ... good idea! It will take much more work but I think your decision to stick to acoustic kit was a good one. You play a familiar instrument and also get away from factory presents so you can tailor the sound to what you want.

@ jer ... the theme was blue jeans, white and grey so it wasn't teenage rebellion (for once).

@ Andy ... yeah, it's a funny fit - an old tub thumper like me playing this music. It's a fine line - easy for me to be overbearing with this music. I'm just learning to play things quietly with groove.

Unfortunately, Glenn doesn't play an instrument. We've actually talked about doing a duo a few times with me programming up the other instruments, but I haven't been able to get my head around online sequencers. The boys have improved a fair bit since last year (and I've improved in this style).

@ eclipse ... thankfully no stings in the tail. It doesn't look it but there were about 50 people there, there was a bunch of people further back in the main area. There's a full stage at the other side but it's set deep in the club and a bit dark. Another band told us it was nicer to set up by the windows with the greens and nature around us so it turned out to be good advice.

@ Pass.of.E.r.a. ... yeah Glenn's amazing. It takes me about 5 or 6 songs to even start warming up. He is "on" from the first note ... every time. Some people have just got it. Based on your Tool cover you seem to be pretty switched on yourself.