View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: You have to “make it” outside your own country first

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
I also have read a bit and discovered the segmentation you are speaking of, although I wasn't around to see it for myself. I have read some very interesting books on this subject (well, if you find the history of the recording industry interesting), actually I wrote a 10k word essay on it for my dissertation. I have to say that if I was born in the 1970s or early 1980s then I might have totally overlooked the music industry as a career path - other than drumming in a band, but growing up with the internet has made it less mystical. It's nice to log on in the morning, & have a quick browse of google news & music industry blogs, you learn something new every day..
I do find reading the history of the music business very interesting, and I've read several books on the subject, along with several autobiography's of well know musicians. Along with watching friends band get signed and dropped, and my own bands flirtations with record labels.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the segmented markets of the US, it's only something I've read about, and realized over the years when I hear about some 70's band that was suppositively huge, but I can't recall every hearing them, and then I find out they were only huge on the east coast! When I was a kid, MTV came out, and that made every band they played equal from east to west.

Anyhow, I saw this interview from a Swedish band Therion, and I thought it was appropriate for this thread:

:
Quote:
Oh yeah, we’re never going to tour the US again. It would be a miracle for us to do that again, like an offer we couldn’t refuse. I knew we’d do OK there, but the tours we did [both in support of Gothic Kabbalah] had total shithead booking. It was pretty miserable, never too posh. There were about 150-200 people a show and in this economy, it’s tough. Hard to get anywhere with this economy. I’m 40 years-old. We do well in Europe, great in Latin America. Some people think the United States is essential, but we’re not big in Africa either [laughs]. Not touring there takes away a lot of the legwork, and when you do all of that work to tour the States, it’s not worth it.