View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: You have to “make it” outside your own country first

Thanks. I do enjoy a good discussion on the music business, though I mainly stick to a few specific blogs & forums for debating purposes. I did write out a 1500 word reponse to the "are you sure about this" part, but then I remembered a quote that Jer brought up in another thread;

There are two rules for success: 1) Never tell everything you know.

So I'll just say that in general, I've met lazy A&R guys that don't really know what's going on anymore. And these are guys who have spotted many number one artists in the UK in the past, right up until the early 2000's. Infact I've been to seminars where they bring the gold & platinum discs with them. It's cringe-worthy. Obviously a record company is built on a hierarchy of various job descriptions, some of those people can't do their jobs properly anymore. The people who are good at their jobs are increasingly starting their own companies with their own roster. Young people/entrepreneurs increasingly do their own thing, often based around the net, they don't join record companies, or even apply. Why join a sinking ship, it's not your job to save it after all - and you certainly won't be properly compensated.

Slightly offtopic, but this is interesting & recent if you haven't seen already; http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...rded-music-bid
That's a serious depreciation.