View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Re: You have to “make it” outside your own country first

Great post toddy, and I agree, all points are valid here. There is no objective truth to speak of, just personal experience and observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
Popularity of a band/genre before it hits the mainstream isn't a secret, it's usually pretty obvious.
Are you sure about this? My only question would be, if that is the case, then why do so many people get it wrong with their forecasts? People make predictions about music all the time, especially record labels, right? Yet, if approx 80% of artists fail commercially and don't take off, doesn't this make said predictions a little, unpredictable?

It’s easy to look back in hindsight and say, "well, those weren’t good songs", but prior to the fact, everybody at the label had confidence that their new act would sell and become really popular. Hindsight is always 20-20 and we as a species are very good at making up ad-hoc explantions about why we succeeded or didn't, after the fact, and we do this without even realising it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
Now sure you may be thinking "this guy loves to talk a lot of bullshit" and you know you're probably right, but there's also a chance I'm not and I'm sticking with it.
Not in the slighest. You have a valid perspective and are making decisions based on your principles and feedback/observations. Good for you. I look forward to reading more of your posts.