View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Post pictures of your... NON-drum instruments?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Al, DED, jer, Eddie, Homeularis, Kenny, Abe - all these drummers who play guitar or bass!

I tried for 20 years on and off to play guitar - and I have an acoustic and electric at home, but I simply can't hold down all the strings to play clean barre chords. Also, the strings kill my fingers. I learned to play quite a few songs from songbooks in that primitive noob way but it's just not my instrument.

Bass is even worse on the fingers ... I can last about 30 seconds. Drums are so much more gentle :)

PS. I agree, Eddie, Al seems to hold his booze pretty well!
I'm pretty functional. This comes in handy on the job as a quality control inspector at a plastics explosives company.

I'm currently working my way through the Rush songbook. By far the most challenging thing I've ever played on the bass is "YYZ", with the three solo breaks in the middle. A friend also just clued me into Primus' remake of Black Sabbath's "N.I.B." where Les Claypool takes on Geezer Bulter's original bass solo... wow. I'm also just picking random stuff off the iPod, and either transcribing it by ear or looking up the tabs online. I have my acoustic guitar nearby to pick out the chord structures, too. What with being on three months' paid vacation, it's like a muso's dream. I actually don't even have my drums set up right now...!

I'm reminded of what Jimmy Chamberlain said about playing Rush songs on the drums, and it's true on the bass as well: "If you could play those songs to a degree of proficiency, you knew you could play pretty much anything". While I'm not quite ready to replace Patitucci anytime soon, I am auditioning for a band tomorrow - - on bass! Knocking down those songs gives me hope to do well. Fingers crossed, and all that.