View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Other than drums ....

ok i got really curious and looked it up in depth. a piano falls under the category of chordophone.

definition time:

a stringed instrument is any musical instrument in which sound is produced by the vibration of a string across a soundboard or soundbox

A percussion instrument is any object which produces a sound when hit with an implement, shaken, rubbed, scraped, or by any other action which sets the object into vibration.

A chordophone is any musical instrument which makes sound by way of a vibrating string or strings stretched between two points.

but most definitions of chordophone also state something to this effect:

Instruments known as "chordophones" are defined as string instruments, but some such as these examples are percussion instruments also. then goes on to list 20 or so examples...

ummm i just confused myself even more. ok, so, a piano is a chordophone which is a stringed instrument based on the general way the instrument makes it sounds (having strings vibrating as it's primary source of sound) but is also classified as a percussion instrument because of how the strings are excited. so i'm gong with " a piano is a stringed instrument that is played percussively".