View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Make it hard for their customers, the customers will avoid the stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
Look at how much a manufacturer spends on introducing a new product. Let us take for example the Pearl Demon drive. They had trained Pearl personnel visit every one of their distributors to make sure they understood how to sell and use the product. How much is advertising worth now? Well in the olden days before the internet, it was very hard to track down and equate the cost of how much a TV commercial was worth to the sale of a product. Now with computers to calculate, track and monitor these costs, manufacturers could easily see if it was worth it.

These show-case stores do not have to be devoted to just one brand of musical instrument either. Nor, do they have to be devoted to just one type of musical instrument.

There were several store fronts that used to exist to just test how consumers felt about products. I used to see these in the malls. They had college kids, and house wives confront you when you came into the malls. They had regular people write reviews about new products. I never paid attention to that stuff, but obviously in the days before computers and the internet, and everyone Googling each other, it was hard to track sales figures. These stores did not generate anything except data for the manufactures of the test products.

These are just the details to making something like this work. It seems to be the alternative to the GC’s and Sam Ash stores. Hopefully, I will see the end of them in my lifetime.

Evolving Machine
That sounds like an interesting concept and it might work. The closest I've seen to this are specialty stores for one instrument type: Stores just for guitars, just for drums, just for violins, just for brass.

So would several manufacturers get together and jointly run the kind of store you are talking about? Or would they hire someone to run it for them? Some manufacturers, like Yamaha, could easily fill a store just with their own stuff - pianos, drums, guitars, electronics, saxophones, violins. Would they sell accessories, like sticks and guitar picks and heads and strings and reeds? What if a customer liked an instrument so much, they wanted to buy it on the spot? That would help the bottom line, but after a certain point, you would have a traditional music store once again. A lot of manufacturers have agreements to only sell through retailers, so they retailers wouldn't like this. If someone wanted to just try something out, the store could direct them to online or local sellers who could provide the goods.