View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Set Personality Types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
It was tuned very high too, again, when others were tuning tuning slacker than Monica Lewinski.
Oh come now, Andy, a lot of gals would have done the same if a hunky president came on to them :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
my taste is getting much darker over the years. I used to go for bright, cutting sounds. I now look for depth & complexity. I'm not sure that says anything about me, other than I'm getting a lot older.
I think that happens a fair bit. In the 80s it was Paiste 2002 all the way. When I started up again I bought another 2002 to relive old glories and it was too bright for me ... now I have a Zil A and a Sabian HH. In the old days I wanted them to sound slick, now I prefer a touch of trashiness (yeah yeah, I can see the link).

I started out playing gigs with oddball kits - added rotos with a synth trigger, a throwaway cymbal that sounded like a China when turned upsidedown and clamped down tight, a shallow snare. Then I went conventional for about a decade. The Rhythm Traveller kick & toms I now use says I'm even cheaper than Jay is ... and I'm over lugging.